Cavityshield Insulation Fire Performance
All of our products meet Australian Standards and comply with the BCA, they are designed specifically to meet the needs of West Australian builders giving the most cost effective option for each scenario. We have products that perform exceptionally well with exposure to fire (Cavityshield Plus and Thermal Break) and others which have been designed to meet a price point where fire performance is not relevant (the standard Cavityshield range).To assist you in making an informed decision, I would like to clarify a few things for you:
- For residential buildings there is NO compliance requirement for sarking/insulation used in walls: The risk of a fire starting inside a wall cavity is so minimal that the BCA does not warrant the need for ANY fire rating, even in BAL areas.
- For commercial buildings, sarking/insulation installed in an external wall must have a flammability index of less than 5, unless the material is protected on all sides by concrete or masonry at least 50mm thick (which means the product is also suitable for use in double brick commercial walls).
- We have been supplying this product for over 10 years and there has NEVER been a scenario where it has caught fire. The only potential for causing combustion during construction might be welding above the cavity. However, you can see from the below video, even under intense welding with sparks and slag dropping on the insulation, it does not combust but rather melts holes.
- There is no reasonable scenario where the insulation will be exposed to a naked flame during, or after, the construction process.
- There is paper on your plasterboard, timber in your roof and many other things inside a complete house that will combust before the insulation encased between your brick walls.
If you are still concerned about flammability, our Cavityshield Plus range of insulation has a ‘low’ classification on the flammability index. But why would you spend more than you need to?
Should you wish to discuss this with us, please feel free to contact our office 08 9452 2551.